This was one of the first recipes I remember making all on my own as a child. It is from the first cookbook I was given (and still have and use), which is titled “Alpha-Bakery” from Gold Medal Flour. I am transcribing their recipe for you. It’s delish and easy. If your child is making this, stay close to supervise. Remember, cooking is always more fun together!
Quick Cheeseburger Pie
(The cookbook provides a pastry recipe. I am not including it because I cheat and use a pre-made crust.)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Gold Medal all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup dill pickle liquid
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chopped dill pickles
- 2 cups shredded American cheese
- Heat the oven to 425 degrees. Bake pastry 15 minutes.
- Cook and stir beef, onion and garlic until brown; drain. Sprinkle with salt and flour. Stir in pickle liquid, milk, pickles and 1 cup cheese. Spoon into dish.
- Bake 15 minutes; sprinkle with 1 cup cheese. Bake until crust is golden brown, about 5 minutes longer.
If you’d like to make this slightly healthier, use lean ground beef or ground turkey and reduced fat cheese. Also, if you’re using a pre-made crust, you might need to cut the final baking time a little so as to not burn your burn your crust.