The latest dish to enter my I-make-it-so-much-I’m-bound-to-tire-of-it-but-don’t-care-because-OMG-so-yums rotation is Mango Lassi. I had previously only ordered this at Indian restaurants because I assumed it would be terribly involved to make at home. WRONG! Enter Pinterest. I found two easy, delicious recipes that result in a pretty good Mango Lassi at home in under 5 minutes. Using frozen mango chunks makes it no muss, no fuss. My favorite recipe is from Dassana Amit on Veg Recipes of India. Several variations are given. Head there to read the recipe.
- I use cardamom for flavor, left out the extra cream and did not add ice.
- I have made it with both frozen and fresh mango. I prefer using frozen. I tried fresh several times, and the riper your mango, the more delicious your drink.
- I added honey a couple of times. It helped add flavor when the fresh mango was not as ripe. I didn’t feel it added a lot to the frozen or very ripe mango versions.
- I blend everything at once, not in steps.
- I add water to thin it out.
This drink has so many variations that it can taste different each time you make it, but it is always good. On a hot summer day or after a spicy meal, Mango Lassi is even more enjoyable.